Saturday, October 15, 2011

Small beginnings and a small garden

I have a short, small post today :)

Landon and I have spent the last 3 days recovering our backyard (well, Landon really did most of the work). Because of the drought, and probably fungus, we lost half of our lawn in the backyard. We also built two garden boxes to have vegetables but with the onset of the drought this summer and some job changes, our boxes were still barren.



At times, the yard was a bit of a painful and physical reminder about how we felt about the last 2 years. Miscarriages, long periods of not getting pregnant, job loss, job change, God's distance - like a half finished backyard getting dryer by the minute.

Since our weather has changed, we had a bit of rain and we had a bit of time (oh yeah and because the newest leg of our adoption application wants a picture of the backyard) we set out to change things.

We tilled the ground, laid the sod, planted seeds, fertilized and watered and now we wait.



As we planted I wondered what God would teach us in the planting (I hear its very spiritual to be a farmer - please hear my sarcasm because I am so bad with plants!). And Landon mentioned Zechariah 4:10 "Who has despised the day of small things?" Small things, small seeds...small things with huge potential and high hopes.

As I considered I thought of our small beginnings as a couple, the struggles of wanting children and now the small glimmer of hope that we could be parents to some parent-less children - all small things that I hope will have a happy end.

Be glad today that God doesn't despise any small beginning, in fact, he sees more value in a small beginning than you do.

1 comment:

  1. I love it...small things with huge potential and high hopes. What a great way to look at that verse!

    {fyi: this post showed up in my feed! Yay!}

    ReplyDelete